Sunday, September 25, 2011

Van Gogh's Starry Night Over The Rhone

Photobucket


So I painted this for my oil painting last year. When the different categories were announced, I immediately gravitated towards Impressionism. I mean, I really wanted to do something like VAN GOGH. I would have chosen "Starry Night" (1889), but Xuedi chose it. Thus, I chose "Starry Night Over the Rhone", which, in my opinion, is really beautiful even though it may not be as famous as "Starry Night" (1889).

We were required to incorporate something about Nanyang inside. But I didn't in my practice.. This was what my practice piece looked like:

Photobucket


Pardon the poor quality.. I took it with my phone. eeps. It's a picture of the incomplete version also..

Right, so anyway. I painted this with the help of my mom's close friend, I call her Auntie Ruth. She's a graduate from NAFA I think, according to my mom. I think she's really, really into art. She's quite old already, but she still does her own art in her own time.

She pointed out to me that the reflected lights in the river are painted horizontally in small strokes, and she told me to note the direction of the brushwork. I would have never realized that I had to do it that way if it werent for her.

This is what my final looks like:



(Again, I took the picture with my phone.. so, may be kinda blur)

In the end, I think I got an A1 for my oil painting. I really hope to get it back soon. It's the first oil painting I've ever done, I myself think I've done it really well and it means a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment