Sunday, September 25, 2011

AEP Coursework: 3D Model







So this is what my final 3D model of the adulthood room looks like. I think it's relatively well done, considering the fact that I'm a total sketchup beginner. I think it's more suitable for landed property though? Because of the windows. I got the idea for the windows from Secret Garden.. I'm sure I've posted my prepwork for the adulthood room on my blog, so I'm not gonna talk about it again.

Anyway! This entry is about the materials I chose, and the difficulties I had with creating this room. The 3 main colours were black, white and blue. I think it's Persian blue? Or something, I cant remember. These were represented by black/white/blue laminates. I didn't want to use wood or metal.. But I wasn't sure what kind of material could create something blue and not be painted.. (I hope I'm making sense)

So.. the flooring is olympic white marble. I tried black marble, but it looked too dark. I know the adulthood room was not meant to embody freedom, but making it so dark would be too over the top.

The glass I chose for the windows were grey-tinted, not blue-tinted. Think it better suits the colour scheme. The frame of the windows are black metal. Anything I try to paint black in sketchup just looks pitch black, I didn't know how to differentiate linoleum from metal, hence they look the same.. It's metal because.. the house in Secret Garden used metal too, I think.

And.. the recliner is black leather. I managed to find some good leather-looking texture which is black and doesn't look like the linoleum or the metal in my model. The mirror.. I couldn't exactly find a texture for it. Reflections aren't fixed, so.. there aren't any ready-made mirror textures available on the net, I mean.. each room is different and each reflection in the mirror is different at different angles. Thus, I just took something that looks somewhat reflective, but isn't really reflective.

Lastly, I added final details, which I downloaded from the Google warehouse, like the books, the folded clothes and the photo frame. I didn't see the need to create them because they weren't the main part of my artwork. I just wanted to decorate the room, so it has the 'lived-in' feeling.

And there you have it. My 3D model~

No comments:

Post a Comment