Sunday, September 25, 2011

Graphic Novel Character Creation




These 2 characters were drawn during sabbaticals. I did cosmology and graphic novel. So on the last 2 days, we were given time to design a cover page for our own graphic novel. The cover page had to have our characters. I was grouped with Yinnshan, Xuedi.. And someone else, I think it was Esther Wong.

So anyway, our story was about this lonely Joker who created an angel and a witch out of accident. He had only intended to create one companion, but 2 were created instead. However, contrary to popular belief, the angel in our story was evil, and the witch in our story was good. I drew the angel and the witch, as shown above.

The angel was meant to look innocent. But in reality, she's not that innocent. Whereas, the witch was meant to look depressing. Her face isnt shown either because she's supposed to be really afraid of people finding out what she looks like. Actually, the angel and the witch are supposed to be twins, so there's no need for the viewers to know what the witch looks like.

The wings for the angel.. I feel are a bit weird. They're flat. But that was before I drew wings for my elderly room. I'm pretty confident of drawing voluminous wings now. As for the witch, I think her cape isnt dramatic enough. I should have drawn it longer. And her hair is a bit weird too, the outline is too spiky.

But overall, I'm quite pleased with it? Because, I don't normally draw the human shape, I kind of avoid drawing humans as far as possible. I don't really like how I have to make everything proportionate.



On the final day, Xuedi didn't come.. and she drew the Joker. So I had to rush out the full cover page (above), and drew the Joker according to my own memory. I think.. the cover page is kind of.. strange-looking. It's really amateur. I wonder how those mangakas (manga authors) do it. Or do they hire people? No, I think they do it themselves.

Overall, I think this little activity sparked a new interest in drawing manga for me. Normally I probably only read manga. But now, I think I might create a manga in my own free time, and maybe even take up manga-drawing lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment