Monday, September 19, 2011

Dabblings In Colour Scheme (Childhood Room)

I didn't manage to include this into my prepwork. So I'm gonna do it on my e-portfolio. It's hard to explain and describe it, because when I say 'green', people are gonna think 'what green? dark green? lime green? moss green? dirty green?'. So.. I hope my attempt at being specific and detailed works. Because I'm going to describe what sort of colour scheme I had in mind for each of my rooms with the help of some pictures.

Childhood Room
I wanted something fantasy-like. Because, as a child, I was always inspired by things like princesses, Barbie shows, magic, etc. I wanted something that could excite a child and make him/her believe in magic, something that could be really soothing. So this is what my childhood room sort-of looks like:



For the flooring, I intended to use faux grass carpets, like in an enchanted forest. And as for the walls, I wanted something like.. a mural of an enchanted forest. Like in these two images below:




As for the bed, I would have made the sheets baby blue or baby pink, depending on the child's gender, and as for the canopy, I wanted translucent curtains.



The initial colour I thought of was yellow, because yellow daylilies (the flower which I took inspiration from) looked best in yellow. But pastel blue/pink and bright yellow seemed strange. So, I think beige or white. Then I think the shape of the overturned daylily flower itself is going to be wired inside.. I'm not sure how they make these things.

The window seat would be wooden with cushion on top. I was thinking light, fair wood. Because it better suits the frequency of the rest of the room, which is pastel and soft. But there are so many kinds of wood.. I'm not sure which is light/fair and used for furniture.

The crocus wardrobe would be a gradient purple, like a crocus flower (from the inside to the tip of the petals):



Lastly, the dandelion-inspired lights. The main feature of a dandelion is that its seeds fly really beautifully. I hoped to incorporate such natural beauty into my design. I mean, normally people have dandelion murals on their walls like these:




But instead of paint on a wall, I'd change them to popup dandelion-shaped lights. There's an example of dandelion-shaped lights which I found online:




It looked so much better than I could have imagined myself. So, my dandelion lights are a fusion of both. The arrangement from the mural and the lights from the circuit example.

Overall, in my imagination, it looks really like an enchanted forest. However, I'm quite sure that young boys will not like this room, and may even find it too 'girly'? I'm not sure, what do young boys want nowadays? Things like racing cars, action figure heroes, football, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment